Thursday, August 31, 2006

Round 2

So, I had another idea for a post, but since my last post sparked such hot debate I decide perhaps i should continue the theme. So.... Round 2 for all you music lovers is....

What's your favorite song to...

Again this game is more fun if we break it into categories.

...sing at the top of your lungs when no one's around?

I think this honor definitely has to go to "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. Being the Karaoke lover that I am, there are MANY songs that I'll belt out in front of anyone. This song however is reserved for alone time (mostly because it's out of my range and sounds even more wretched than songs that are in my range!)

...listen to while you clean the house?

Anything upbeat. Britney always fits the bill here, especially anything from her self titled album. Madonna's new CD, Confessions on a Dance Floor, is a winner too, especially the song "Super Pop" (though i think that song is only on the British version of the album) It's also good to have some good rock and punk in the mix... Aerosmith, Fall Out Boy, Bowling for Soup, The Killers.... i could go on and on, but you get the idea. Oh... I have a dance remix of Usher's "Yeah" with Britney's "Toxic..." AWESOME!!

...play air guitar?

I don't really have a good answer for this but i felt like it should be in here because i'm hoping one of my loyal readers does. But I do love Joe Perry's guitar riff in Aerosmith's classic "Walk this Way."

...listen to on a loooooong road trip?

Road trips REQUIRE sing along music. Anything from the "house cleaning" category fits here. Also a good time to bust out musicals like Rent (which I am NOT embarrassed to have like some people ~ Quitter) Britney's version of "I Love Rock and Roll" and The Ataris version of "Boys of Summer" are necessary listening for all road trips.

...listen to on a plane?

Usually this is a more mellow set... because i usually just want to fall asleep. Missy Higgins is my first choice, KT Tunstall, Joss Stone, Kelly Clarkson's "Beautiful Disaster" (the live version), "Addicted," and "Breakaway" are all good choices. It's also a good time to break out more obscure things like Linkin Park's "My December," who knew those boys could sing slow songs? Amy Lee from Evanescence does an INCREDIBLE acoustic version of Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box." Oh, and if I'm flying into Cali I of course have to listen to "California" by Phantom Planet ~ also known as the theme song to the show The O.C.

...zone out to?

Again Missy Higgins. Sarah McLachlan is good too... Fumbling Towards Ecstasy... just the title is awesome.

...listen to that most people don't know/don't think you listen to?

The Beatles! "Strawberry Fields," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "Michelle." Love it love it love it!!! Also... no laughing.... Bob Marley ~ I only have one CD, but I love it! Who doesn't love a little "No Woman, No Cry?"

Alright, those are my tunes. How 'bout yours? Feel free to submit new categories as well.

13 Comments:

Blogger Plankiest said...

I don't really have a song that I sing when I am by myself. I will pretty much sing anything, anywhere, around anyone. Or no one.

For cleaning the house, I need some aggressive music. So, usually something like Eminem. He really knows how to put his back into cussing.

I don't really do air guitar. But I try air drumming. And my favorite band to do this to is Dave Matthews. I suck at it, but it is still fun!

Dave Matthews is also my road trip band of choice. Seal, David Gray, Zero 7, Gorillaz, it goes on and on.

Plane music can be many many things for me. Sometimes so Dave Matthews, sometimes some David Gray. Jason Mraz has a song called Plane, which I sang to you once in the airport. You didn't like it. One of the lyrics is "If the plane goes down..." You found this unsettling for some reason.

Zoning out? Inevitably when I am trying to go to sleep I have some stupid song like Macarena stuck in my head. HATE! So, I try to replace it with something from Zero 7, because they are the best to chill out to.

I'm not sure I have anything that I listen to that would be surprising to someone else. I guess you have to come over and dig on my iPod for that answer.

And my new category: Music that I don't like.
Country.

12:54 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Are you kidding me? It has been forever since I have posted this comment, and no one else is commenting? What's up with that? Come on people!

11:00 AM, September 10, 2006  
Blogger E.A.P said...

Sing Along Songs? Ben Folds ("Landed" and "Army" are particular favs)Sound of Music soundtrack, Evita soundtrack, Frank Sinatra ("I've Got You Under My Skin," anyone?), Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Mozart masses and requiems (with embarrassing attempted runs and botched Latin), Renaissance choral music (with absolutely NO sense of the words), Rachmaninoff choral music (even worse sense of the words, seeing as how it's in RUSSIAN), almost anything in my collection, given the right mood . . .

House-cleaning music? Definitely Our Lady Peace, Jet, Cake. Pretty much anything high energy, slightly funky, and angry.

Play air guitar? Tough one. I'm more likely to play air piano, so that's Ben Folds, Tori Amos, Keane, and Coldplay. Air drums are for Dave Matthews, Jet, and Cake.

Road Trips? Oooooo. I love this category. The problem is that almost any of my music might work for one mood or another in the car. Still, Cake is best for fun interludes on long trips to visit friends and fam. Singing along is mandatory. Then there's indy pop for the mellow parts with the Garden State soundtrack, the Grey's Anatomy Season 1 soundtrack, KT Tunstall, Death Cab for Cutie, Keane, Coldplay (ok, not indy, but whatever).

Plane music? Keane. Most def. Others? Well, I love me some soothing Rachmaninoff or choral music, but the plane noise tends to crowd out acapella singing, so it gets hard to hear. Still, lovely, and you might be able to doze off to it, too.

Zone-Out Music? My classical music, including Hubster's Chopin classics are great for this. Light/mellow rock is good, too. Norah Jones, Coldplay and Sarah McLachlan. Actually, I can zone to almost of it because my brain easily gets wrapped up in a reverie, problem, or daydream.

Little Known Musical Choices? Um, I love me some Rufus Wainwright. That's probably not something people guess, but I guess it's not really shocking. I like some harder alternative rock like Tonic and Our Lady Peace. It's still mild stuff, but it's no Death Cab, so people find that odd. Oh, and I like interesting hip-hop and techno. Hubster introduced me to Rjd2, who is brilliant with rhythm, and I love Citizen Cope. Oh, and Avalanche is brilliant techno and loads of fun. "Frontier Psychiatry" is fantastic.

HAPPY NOW?

11:33 AM, September 11, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Okay, I have a theory. If Britney happens to EVER LOOK AT HER BLOG AGAIN, she will totally flip out when she sees 11 comments left for this post. And she will click to read said comments. And she will be totally honked off when she realizes that most of the comments are just numbers. But maybe, just maybe, she will read what we have had to say, and will make fun of one of us. Which would be cool. So, here goes.

11:23 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

One

11:23 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Two

11:23 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Three

11:23 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Four

11:24 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Five

11:24 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Six

11:24 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

Seven

11:24 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger podslave said...

The Quitter (aka Plankiest) is a dork!

9:23 AM, September 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I mow my lawn to Britney - that is, until I wore out the cd Bunk made for me. The only other cd I have that is loud enough to compete with the mower is Evanescence - still a good choice, though moodier, I'll admit. Now I have my Free-KeyBank-iPod, so I can't wait until mowing season again [I know, I'm a freak]. I'll be jammin' to a medley of Stabbing Westward/The Dreaming [one of my alltime favorites], Evanescence, Harvey Danger with a sprinking of miscellaneous artists provided [once again] by Bunk.

By the way, after all of the hype, I certainly hope that Missy is going to play a significant part of my annual Christmas cd! And can I get another Britney mix, please?

~Bange

2:25 PM, December 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage