Friday, June 16, 2006

The Good, The Bad, and the Kitten

The last couple days my body has decided that it is mad at me and therefore is going to play games with me. It acts like it is hungry but then when i eat it gets mad and feels crappy. So Wednesday morning i went into work and started feeling crappy and decided to go home. I crawled back into bed and slept for a while. I eventually got up and did some laundry and eventually the boyfriend came home and we had dinner.

Mom and I had to be at the airport at 4:30am Thursday morning so she came over to spend the night Wednesday night. We headed out to take the dog for a walk and ended up running into some neighbors and talking for a few minutes. As we were talking we saw a kitten in the field across the street and realized that she was walking really weird. I ran over to find out what was wrong and found that her hind legs were mangled. She wasn't bleeding and didn't look like she had been attacked, but there was obviously something wrong. She was moving pretty well considering the way her legs looked. I didn't know what to do. I was afraid to pick her up in case she had any disease or anything, but she was really lovey. She kept rubbing up against me and was sweet as could be. I yelled for mom and she came over picked her up. Mom said that we should get her to a vet, that she would probably need to be put down. I of course start bawling and say I'll run over and get a pet carrier to take her. One of the neighbors said she had a carrier that she would get and I took Oscar back to the house and got the car. We called every 24 vet in the area but they were all going to charge between $75-90 just to look at her. Finally we found one all the way on the south side of town that said they would examine her for free. SO mom and started the treck to the south side (did i mention that the boyfriend had taken the night off work in hopes of actually spending time with me).

The poor little kitten cried in the whole way down to the vet. As we drove mom and I started noticing we were itching. GREAT!!! We finally get there expecting that they will either put her down, or say that she needs surgery which we obviously don't have the money to pay for. We walk in and they take her back to look at her. Mom and I ran into the bathroom and scrubbed our itching arms and faces. We came back out and one of the vet assistants walked out from the back and said, "The vet says she wants to thank you for bringing her in" then she turned to the other women working at the front desk who had just told us that she had 12 cats and said, "and you're gonna love this. She said we're going to find her a good home!" I of course start crying again as the woman explains that the problem with the cats legs is probably a birth defect. She said that there was probably an umbilical wrapped around the legs but that the kitten had lived with it her whole life so it didn't bother her at all, it just looked weird to us.

So... bottom line... the kitten will get a good home!! YAY!

2 Comments:

Blogger E.A.P said...

OH SO GOOD. You guys rock! I'm not sure why, but this made my night. Yay for kindness to animals!

11:49 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Plankiest said...

The sweetest thing!

Love you! Miss you!

12:56 PM, June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage