Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Understanding The Quitter

So originally this was going to be a comment responding to the Quitter's comment on my "The Book Blog" post. But the more and more i thought about it, the more i realized that this topic deserves its own post. You see, if you know the Quitter, you that she expresses love through hurtful words. Example, at the Christmas party i was trying to talk to her about the book i was reading. She and the boyfriend had already been making fun of me for a good 10 minutes (because i wasn't really a reader then, and they didn't believe that i was actually reading a book). I said, "i think it introduces some really interesting concepts..." And before i could finish she says, "you mean words on a page?" OUCH!!!! (Freakin' hilarious, but still.. ouch!) Anyway, you get the idea. The meaner she is to me... the more i know she loves me. She wouldn't go through the effort of insulting me otherwise.

Because i've become accustomed to this behaviour from her, it makes me wonder what she means when she says nice things. For example, the following quote comes from her comment on my "the book blog" post:

"Ninth. Oh yeah! Now I remember. I love your blog! You are quite a writer! Please keep it up! And don't follow my example of non-regularity concerning posts."

Now, does this mean that she really does like my blog, thinks i'm a good writer, and hopes that i post frequently? Or is she actually trying to say:

"This blog freakin' sucks! Why do i freakin' waste my time reading it? You're the WORST WRITER EVER!!!! Please do me, bloggers, the writing community, and civilization as a whole a favor and NEVER WRITE AGAIN! And if you refuse to do that, please at least follow my example and only write when you have insomnia. P.S. I've given your boyfriend instructions to slip Ambien into you're dinner."

I'm just so confused!

2 Comments:

Blogger Plankiest said...

Oi. I understand your confusion. I know it is hard to believe that I could actually use positive expressions to describe something that I like. But I like to keep people on their toes. Keep 'em guessing.

Also, could you change boyfriend to husband? I actually took my husband that night. I don't want my husband and my boyfriend to cotton on to the fact that the other exists. ;)

7:29 AM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger E.A.P said...

Hilarious! Oh, and if you're fragile like me, she'll be mean but she'll take it right back. Can I help it if I'm a precious, precious flower? (demurely lowers head, sighs)

heh.

She's right about your writing, though. Great stuff!

9:07 AM, March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage