Friday, April 17, 2009

Easter Stalker

My parents bought the house that they currently live in shortly after my brother Shorty, who is now 19, was born. A year or two after we moved into the house, we all got up on Easter morning and got ready for church. When we walked out the front door we were surprised to find a small box filled with the green grass stuff that you put in Easter baskets, some jelly beans, robin eggs, a couple chocolate eggs, and a small strip of paper that had "He has risen" printed on it. It had no information indicating who it had come from and as result mom and dad refused to let us eat the candy. (MAD!)

We check with friends and family and find that none of them received anything like this. We also established that it had not come from anyone we knew, or if it did, they're keeping it a secret. Within a few days we've all forgot about our personal Easter bunny. The next year, it happens again, and the year after. We eventually suspected that it was coming from the elderly lady that lived across the street. Mom and Dad eventually allowed us to eat the candy (none of us died.. so that's good). As long as I remember, this happened every year. We'd go to bed Saturday night and wake up Easter Sunday morning to our little Easter box.

A few years ago, the elderly lady we suspected passed away... but the boxes kept coming. WEIRD! By this point I've moved out of the house and basically forgotten about it. Until now.

Sunday I went to church with my parents, as I frequently do on Easter Sunday. Mom and I were sitting next to each other and just before the service began she leaned over and whispered "the Easter Bunny came." Sweet! I'm thinking I have a basket full of robin eggs at the house. I smile and Mom whispers "you know what Easter Bunny I'm talking about, right?" My jaw dropped, my eyes popped open, and as silently as possible, I gasped. I realized immediately what Easter Bunny she was talking about. Mom later explained that Shorty had come home at about midnight Saturday night and the box wasn't there, but Dad woke up at 4:30am and it was!

After church I called Will to find out if he was on his way up for dinner. After explaining that he would be coming soon he said, "So, you wanna hear something weird?" "Of course!" I replied. He proceeds to tell me that when he opened the front door that morning, he found a plastic bag full of candy with a paper tag that said, "Yes! He has risen." My jaw dropped, my eyes popped open, and very loudly shouted "WHAT?!?!" Will and I discussed the weirdness for a moment and I eventually told him to bring the bag to dinner.

When Will arrived I grabbed the bag and ran into the house. I asked mom and dad where their present was... same bag, same candy, same tag!!!!!! We've now begun calling the Easter Bunny the Easter Stalker, though the Doctor pointed out that whoever is bringing the bags has clearly put time and effort into it and probably wouldn't like being called the Easter Stalker. I suppose he's probably right. And to be honest, while it is incredibly WEIRD, I suppose it's kinda cool. Someone obviously cares about us enough to do this every year (in the middle of the night too). And while it makes me crazy not knowing who it is, it makes for a GREAT story (I think I would actually be a little sad if I figured out who it was).

If by chance you happen to be the Easter Stalker (or Easter Angel as one of the girls at work suggested) thanks for the candy, thanks for thinking of us, and Robin Eggs are my favorite Easter candy. :-)