Monday, October 13, 2008

Yay for Concerts!

If you've read my blog much before, you probably already know that I'm a little obsessed with this chick. She's frikin' awesome! This past weekend she was once again in Chi-town and considering it takes very little to convince me to head that way anyway... I went. She was opening for Ben Folds. Remember that band from like back in Junior High or something? Ben Fold's Five? Well, I guess they are no longer "five" but Ben has a band and they record albums and do tours and you know... stuff that bands do. So... Simmonds and I head up to the Windy City for some musical entertainment.

Before heading to the concert we went to check out the final contender for the bridesmaid dress for Beana's wedding next year. Here's a pic... Ignor the size 14 girl being pinned into the size 8 dress if you don't mind.. thanks!

Aside from the dress obviously being waaaay to small for me, I really like it. It's not going to be this color, but I still think it will be cute.

After dress shopping, it was off to Gino's East for lunch (cuz that'll help the dress fit! haha!). Then we headed over to the Congress Theater to get tickets. We had tons of time to kill so we ended up tooling around that area until we found a comic book shop that got Simmonds all geeked out. We finished up there just in time to throw some more quarters in the meter and split a pitcher of margaritas before the show started.

Missy ROCKED! of course. It was really cool to see her playing such a big venue (compared to the other places I've seen her play) and to see so many people there. I don't have many good pics because we were waaaaay farther back then usual. The stage looked pretty when we got there though, so I snapped this...


I actually have a couple decent videos, but I don't know if it's actually legal to post them. I just don't know the rules here. Ben Folds was quite amusing. He has a song called Effington and the opening line is "If there's a God, He is laughing at us, and our football team." Cracks me up! He also introduced a song by saying, "I fell of the stage, and I wrote a song about it." That's funny! As if he hadn't won me over with the comedy, he brought Missy Higgins back out on stage to sing
"You Don't Know Me" which is record with Regina Spektor on the album. It's a nice song, of course I wish he had orginally recorded it with Missy.. that'd be awesome.

Bottom line, Missy does it again. Last time I went to see her Eric Hutchinson opened for her - consequently, I now LOVE him! This time she opened for Ben Folds and I'm thinking there's a good chance I need to buy his most recent album... and maybe even some of his older stuff. I leave you with the one picture from the show that is at least half way decent. I don't remember what song they were singing, or why the costume was necessary (too busy laughing) but I found it amusing...