Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Drink spittingly funny - almost!

First of all... yes, spittingly is a word. I just made it up. Don't argue with me! Second... I know this is my 2nd post in two days. Don't get scared and don't get used to it. It's just that I actually have something to talk about for a change. So here goes....

The other day the boyfriend comes home and tells me that during the Jets vs Patriots game on Sunday, someone spotted a person on the Pats side video taping the Jets sideline. The tape was confiscated by the NFL. I figured it was a bunch of hype and they were going to come back and say it was just some crazy fan who thought he was going to help the team or something.

So yesterday, Will and I are playing racquetball at the gym and the boyfriend shows up so that we can both kick his butt. (He's not very good at racquetball). Will and I finish our game and come out and the boyfriend says he has news. I take a swig of my water as he proceeds to tell me that the NFL has determined that the guy (who apparently is a Pats video assistant) was recording defensive signals. I seriously almost spit my water across the basketball court. I did not see that coming! The NFL Commissioner is supposed to hand down the punishment on Friday. The speculation at this point is that he will fine them and probably take away some draft picks (big deal!).

I think their season should be over. They're freaking CHEATING! And apparently this isn't the first time this guy has been caught with a camera pointed at the opposing team's bench. I do understand that it's hard to know what to do in this situation. Who all knew this was going on? Obviously the Pats coach Bill Belichik knows about it. They should just kick him out of the league. But did they players know? I hate Tom Brady.. I would LOVE for it to come out that he knew! JERK!

I've only looked at a couple sites, but I'm fascinated by the way New England fans are reacting. When Michael Vick took a plea bargain in the dog fighting case, Falcons fans started sending their Vick jerseys to dog shelters to be used as lining for their crates! Way to go Falcons fans! As much as I think Vick should be coated in meat and shoved into a cage full of pit bulls that haven't eaten in three days, I could almost forgive the league if they chose not to punish him. (Though I guess the gambling charges are an issue that the league does need to address). What he did had no effect on the game. If something like this happened with the Colts, I'd be devastated! I honestly would probably start watching college football instead. I've gotten to the point that I honestly LOVE football too much to give it up, but I don't think I could continue to support a team that was cheating to win.

The Pats need HUGE punishment. And their fans need a reality check. The sites I've seen so far... fans are defending them. I understand innocent until proven guilty, but according to ESPN.com " NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources." Sounds to me like they've already been proven guilty. How could you continue to support a team that is willing to do that? I do feel a little sorry for the fans who have supported them all these years and now it seems their victories are tainted. 3 Super Bowls? but how'd they win them? Even if they weren't cheating at that time... there will always be a question. What a bunch of idiots. As much as I hate them, they have some talented people. Did they really need to do this?

I guess this isn't really drink spittingly funny... It's drink spittingly sad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Plankiest said...

I cannot agree with your opinion of the NFL's involvement with Vick. I think that whatever Vick gets from the NFL, he deserves. Just think what would happen to one of us 'regular' people if we were in the same situation. We would almost certainly lose our jobs. It should be no different for him.

The Patriots thing just makes me sad. I didn't cheer for them, but I didn't hate them either. I actually had a little respect for them because I appreciate how they work as a team, not for the glory of a few players. It seems that their team has gotten a little too big. I wonder what number would be on the jersey of the guy who was videotaping? I think it should be '0'.

12:39 PM, September 13, 2007  
Blogger podslave said...

I kinda see what you're saying about Vick, and I guess in an exact case we probably would lose our jobs. But I think it also would depend on how much publicity surrounded the case. There wouldn't be nearly as many people interested if you or I got busted. And if no time is actually served, I don't know that we would get fired. Ok... we probably would, but that's because you work for a vet and I think vets tend to frown on dog fighting. And I work for a tiny company where the owners actually care about their employees. But if I worked in a giant factory or something... I don't know.

I do think that the league should punish him because I think they have a code of conduct or something. (If they don't they should). He's a public figure. Kids look up to him. I think part of making all that money is knowing that you are being watched ALL THE TIME and your actions will have consequences. I just wouldn't be surprised or angry if they didn't end up kicking him out. Disappointed? yes. But not angry.

1:36 PM, September 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage