Sunday, April 10, 2011

Getting Settled

After three weeks, I'm finally really getting settled in. I signed up at the gym today. Last week I put a down payment on a car and will get it on Tuesday. Wednesday I'm meeting with a friend who is a doctor to find out if there is anything I can do about my stupid calf. And Thursday I'm meeting with a trainer at the gym so they can do all those terrifying fat measurements and stuff.

Work is going pretty well. I keep myself busy sifting through binders and electronic files and stuff just trying to get everything in order so that I can actually find things when I need them. In the next week or so we should be moving to the new building. I'm very excited about this as there are showers at the new building which will make it really easy for me to go for a run or bike ride during my 2 hours lunches.

Last weekend I participated in a 1500 meter open water swim in the ocean. I had a really great time even though my time was really slow. Arguably, I wasn't really in regular trained condition. One week before the race I swam 3000 meters in the pool, other than that, I hadn't really done any swimming in a few months. I was still a little bummed about the super slow time. Usually I'm not really looking at other people's times, but this time it actually made me feel better. In my age group I finished 11th out of 42. And also finished faster than over half the men in my age group. I was pretty pleased with that.

The gym I joined apparently has a triathlon group and a run club. I'm hoping to be able to join though I don't know that the 8-8 work schedule will really allow for it. Regardless, I'm just excited to finally be able to get back into a workout routine. I started breaking in a new pair of running shoes today on a 40 minute run. The hills and altitude are still a bit of an issue, but too terrible. Once I get going and am really into a routine I want to start training for a race again. The joy of living in the tropics - there's at least one race every month of the year!!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay Wile said...

Seems like CR is become home. Very good. It looks like we have something in common. I just pulled a muscle in my calf today. I hate it when you feel it happen, are a mile into the run, and have to turn around and LIMP back!

1:06 PM, April 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage