Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A TEFL Day

Today was a loooong day, I don't think they are going to be getting shorter anytime soon. Class only goes from 9-4, but there is so much other stuff to do. Writing up the formal lesson plan and post-class notes for last week's class, preparing for Monday's class (my students will be learning about football -American Style!!!), observing 5 other teachers and writing the 5 corresponding papers, and of course just the daily reading assignments.

We actually had a workshop in class today, which was fun. These are different than our mini-lessons where we have to have a lesson plan and are teaching on our own (sink or swim) for 20 minutes. Today we had students come in again, but we were just working vocabulary. We each picked a word (charades style) out of cup and then had to teach it and concept check it. The whole class was there and could actually help out if we got stuck. I lucked out and got the word "hungry" which was pretty easy. It was really fun though. I wish we could of have done a few more words. I found myself catching my mistakes the first time I made them, and quickly adjusting. Still, I feel like I need a lot more practice to stop my stupid "echo-ing" habit. (In my defense, everyone does it, some of the teachers I've observed did it, and the teacher said it is very common). I just wish I had more time to practice before we start our practical teaching... two weeks from yesterday!

After class I started working on my plans for Monday's lesson. It will be a vocabulary lesson. I'll be teaching a few football related words like helmet, field, football, shoulder pads and protect. Kinda silly but should be fun. The students that come are really sharp and always have good questions and seem genuinely interested. I think they will enjoy the lesson.

I went down to the common area and started writing up the first of my observation papers. It's funny, now that we've been in the school a few days, the English students have seen us observing and some have come to the mini-lessons, they recognize us as "teachers" and have no problem asking for help when they are studying. As I was typing up my paper a guy I had never seen before leaned across the table and asked me for help understanding some words. It was kinda cool. While I wasn't using TEFL sanctioned methods to help, I also decided not to just translate the words for him. I had to laugh because after trying to describe the word "slum" to him I watched him write "barrio." Can't really argue!

Now I'm back at the house watching The Fighter with a couple of housemates. Should probably be reading or writing or planning... but my brain needs a break!

Labels: