Saturday, April 09, 2011

The Big Girl Job - CR!

So, I´ve officially been on the job for 3 weeks now. It´s been crazy but good. I currently have a team of 6 teachers, and will likely be hiring one more in who will start in May. I´ve been asked what my job is exactly, and well... it´s a little difficult to describe right now. My official title is Director of National Programs and Academics. It´s a big title and sounds really important, though I don´t know that I feel quite as important as it sounds. But I am enjoying myself, so that´s the important part.

My job, in short, is to manage the English program. There hasn´t really been anyone in this position for several months. As a result, right now I spend a lot of my time organizing. English classes go in one month cycles and at the end of each month the clients have a test or quiz. I take care of all the record keeping, creating schedules for the next month of classes, reviewing the evaluations that the clients fill out about their teachers, making sure the teachers get paid, making sure the clients pay for classes, all kinds of fun stuff.

I spend a lot of time speaking Spanish, which is fantastic! (Though I probably spend an equal amount of time speaking Spanglish which is less effective for improving my Spanish. My favorite moments are speaking Spanglish with other native English speakers.... this happens ALL THE TIME and really makes me laugh). The part of the job that I have yet to tackle, but am rather excited about, is growing the program. Right now we only have about 70 English clients (Peru has over 1100!!!!) The goal is for the program to have 300 clients by the end of 2012. This is my responsibility to make happen. Super excited about the challenge and what it will mean for my resume if I can actually make it happen. I also have little to no budget to make this happen, so we´re talking grass roots marketing methods... oh the challenges and creative opportunity that lies ahead!

Labels: ,