Sunday, February 13, 2011

Life's a Beach... and I love it!

What an awesome weekend! Got to the beach house late Friday night. Saturday morning we had Gallo Pinto for breakfast (classic Costa Rican breakfast, mixture of rice and black beans, cilantro and other various things for flavor, with a fried egg – YUM!). I then spent most of the day laying out on the patio reading and enjoying the sun. For lunch we had Arroz con Palmito (rice with heart of palm), in case you haven’t noticed, rice is a major staple in the food here.

Later I went for a run with PSUBoy and La Hermana (for those of you who are new to my blog, only animals are referred to by their real names, people have nicknames, to protect the guilty). It was an AWESOME run!! We started from the parking lot near the entrance to the beach and ran up the road a little bit before cutting down a path to the beach. The tide was going out so the sand was still wet and a little more solid to run on. There were a few rocks to be carefully maneuvered, and eventually we actually climbed up over and then back down a small wall of rocks, mud and tree branches to the other side of the beach.

Once we got to that side there were less rocks but more “streams” (I’m sure there is a technical term for this, but basically there were areas, about 2-3 feet wide where the sand dropped down just a few inches allowing a steady stream of water to flow in). Because the “streams" weren’t very wide we just jumped over them, trying to avoid having soaking wet shoes. Of course, I’ve never been terribly graceful, so at one point I come up to a stream and plant my left foot to push off, but instead the sand sinks down to the level of the other sand and my foot gets soaked! So now I officially have a pair of “beach running shoes.” Oh and special thanks to La Hermana who was about 3 feet behind, saw the whole thing, and cracked up laughing until she had to stop laughing because she couldn’t run, laugh, and breathe all at the same time.

PSUBoy led the way as we cut back up a path onto one of the main roads. For my fellow runners, it should be noted that, especially here at the beach, “roads” don’t necessarily imply asphalt. These are more like brick, so instead of watching for potholes, you have to constantly be watching for a brick that has decided to pop up a bit higher than the rest. By the time we got back to the car I had worked up a nice sweat, but was still feeling great. Perfect run!

Last night we drove down to Jaco to a place called Los Amigos for dinner. Not only was the food delicious, but they were playing Showtime’s Strikeforce (MMA fights) and I got to watch a few AMAZING fights. Then to make it even better, my favorite female fighter, Gina Carano (okay... that's her real name... I guess "celebrity type people" don't need protection), made an appearance announcing that she would be returning soon! SWEET!! When we got back to the house La Hermana and I headed out to the balcony to enjoy the beautiful night and a glass of wine. The moon was amazing and I managed to snap this shot (a little blurry because I didn’t have a tripod, but I still love it!)

And in case you’re curious, here are some pictures of the beach house.


From the balcony, this is the road leading to the house, and yes, the pool is on the patio.

View from the balcony

Patio and pool, as seen from the balcony

Balcony (and La Hermana)


One of the bedrooms

Master Bedroom

Living room

Kitchen

Amazing View

The Pool

The Patio

Now for dinner, and shoving the last few things in my bag. Apparently I can't read a calendar. I've had it in my head for over a month now that I was flying to Peru on Tuesday, but I'm actually flying out tomorrow.... OOPS!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a good flight this morning. Be safe.

9:43 AM, February 14, 2011  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage