Friday, March 02, 2012

Returning Home... except... not.

After nearly a year in my wonderful tropical paradise, I decided it was time to go home for a visit.  (This was only mildly influenced by the fact that Indianapolis was hosting the Super Bowl.)  I had a wonderful time. I visited lots of friends and family, drank good beer (something seriously lacking in Central America), and just generally enjoyed myself.


Breakfast at the airport.  Last call for Gallo Pinto! Even if it's from Burger King, it had to be done.

On the plane, waiting to take off in the morning.  Costa Rica mornings are so beautiful.

In Atlanta, Delta was kind enough to fly  into a terminal with a brewery. GOOD BEER!! I knew I missed the States!

And what's a good beer without some Nachos. (Oddly, CR doesn't do nachos very well - this was a treat)

Pretty impressed by Delta's terminal. These charging stations were all over the place in waiting area. Regular plugs and USBs.  Way to go Delta!

Can you say AWESOME!?!?  So proud of my  little Indy. We look so cool!!

Only in Indianapolis can you find a Rolls Royce parked outside a laundry mat...

... with a camera shy Weimaraner in the front seat.

Super Bowl Village!

Super Bowl Village!

Ah... Super Bowl Village!!!

Super Bowl super cool ice sculptures

Awesome!

What's a Indy Super Bowl without some Indy Cars? Go Giants!!!

I guess they can have a car too. Whatever.

Zipline Indy.  So bummed I didn't get to do this.  Guess I'll have to settle for my jungle ziplines.

I love our stadium!

Pretty much all buildings downtown had been converted into clubs.

With no cover before 5pm...

...we wondered in to check this one out. (Yes those were bounces houses you saw in the previous photos!)

The building previously known as Nordstrom, converted to The Huddle.

And what was once The Hampton Inn (I think) became The Bud Light Hotel. They actually changed (well covered) all the signs on the building. Rumor has it even towels, sheets, blankets, etc said Bud Light.

Greek Tony's breadsticks! So bad and yet soooooooooo good.

My adorable baby, taking a break, after ferociously playing with his buddy Jay.

My flight back was in the afternoon which allowed time for breakfast at Cafe Patachou (one of my favorite breakfast spots) As per usual, their coffee offerings were the Patachou blend, Patachou decaf, a flavored coffee and a single origin. How appropriate that the single origin would be from my beloved Costa Rica!

The trip was a whirlwind.  The pictures only document a small portion.  It completely excludes my awesome brother doing my hair, being rejected by Jimmy Fallon and alternatively creating our own Broad Ripple pub crawl, family Christmas, seeing friends' new places, a Thai Massage, shopping, watching the Super Bowl, etc.

The pictures are also incapable of capturing the odd feeling of being home, but not. For all of my life (except those first few I have no memory of) I have lived in Central Indiana. I moved from the small town outside of Indianapolis, where I grew up, to the big city for college and eventually bought a house in the suburbs (because that's what you do when you graduate - or so they tell you). While I never had much love for the small town I grew up in, I do love Indy.  Maybe it's not perfect and maybe it's not where I'll end up, but I like it. I had a house, dogs, a car, my friends, nearly all my family within a one hour radius. It was home.

So, like any normal girl, I sold what I could, packed the rest and fled the country.  There's a saying (and I'm far to lazy to actually look it up to make sure I'm getting it right) that "You can never go home again." I've never really understood it until now.  I had a great time while I was there. It was so awesome to see people that I've desperately missed over the last year.  But it's just not home anymore. Doesn't mean it won't be again one day, it's just not now. It was like being a tourist in my own town. I don't know that there are really words to describe it, but I didn't feel like I was home until the wheels touched down in Costa Rica.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

believe me baby girl I know exactly what you felt. I feel it everytime I go back home to "Georgia" cause lets face it if the US were Europe... Indiana and Georgia would be very different countries.

Dad.

1:03 PM, March 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage