Thursday, March 29, 2012

KDog and The Doctor

The radio silence for the last couple weeks has not been because I quit blogging again (as I'm sure you all thought it was) but because my dear friends KDog and The Doctor came for a visit. I've known KDog and The Doctor since I was quite young.  It's funny to think of how are relationship has changed over 20 some-odd years.

When I was probably around 5 or 6, they were friends with my parents. Like all of my parents' friends they were always kind to me when they would come over for dinner or whatever. I often babysat my siblings while my parents went out for their weekly trivia night with the pair. As I got older and band and softball and other social things started to take over my life, their daughter (previously mentioned on this blog, The Quitter) started babysitting for my siblings. 

When I moved off to "the big city" for college I kind of lost touch. It'd been several years since I'd had contact with them, though I still received occasional updates from my parents. I was finishing my last semester of college and had accepted a job at a bank (not my long term plan, but a little better than retail and enough to pay the bills until I could get a "real" job - something at least somewhat marketing related.) I was on a break at my first day of training and saw I had a missed call from my mom.  I called her back and she said, "So, you need to send KDog your resume."  

I was quite confused but could only ask so many questions given that I was surrounded by co-workers/trainers.  I vaguely remembered my parents mentioning a few years prior that KDog and The Doctor had started some kind of textbook company, something about science and homeschooling. Couldn't really remember. Mom seemed really excited so I called her back later and got more details. A month or so later, I was their Advertising Manager (talk about finding a "real" job - yeah baby!!)

The beginning was a little rough. I'd always planned to have a big corporate job, and suddenly I was back in the little town I grew up in (and hated) in an office comprised biggest mish-mash of people you've probably ever seen. It wasn't what I'd pictured, but I quickly began to recognize the value of working for a small, family owned company, and reporting directly to one of the owners. I was young and unexperienced, but I was interested and ready to learn. I was given tasks and freedom that would have never been allotted to a fresh out of college newbie in the corporate world.

As I continued to work for them they became not just supervisors, but mentors and friends. I valued their input on my work and my life. When they sold the company and things got nasty between the new owners and myself, they backed me 110%. They love and care for me so much that I've come to regard them not just as friends, but as another set of parents.

And after all that, they came down to visit me in my happy place!! We had a wonderful week, visiting pretty much the same places visited during the Three Crazy Gringos trip. But mostly we just enjoyed each other's company. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jay Wile said...

They sound like awesome people. I am sure they had a great time as well!

2:32 PM, March 29, 2012  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage