Thursday, July 11, 2013

Weekend fun!

Ok I'm just too lazy to keep typing the big long titles. You guys get that I'm in Thailand, right? I've covered getting here, and bits about transportation, work, and my living environment, all of which I'm sure will be covered more extensively later. Apparently my combination of blog posts and Facebook posts has some people a little concerned. So let me start this post by saying. All is good!!! There are moments where I think, life was sooooo much easier and nicer in CR, and it was (let's be honest, I got it good there! And CR people - yes, that means I'm probably coming back sooner rather than later - though I do have a contract to finish!) But I didn't come here because I thought it was going to be easy. Most of the people who read this blog should know me well enough to know that, easy isn't really how I roll. Thailand has its challenges, but it's still freakin' Thailand!! In an effort to calm some nerves, and continue sharing my awesome adventure, I present you with Weekend Fun!

I've been here over a month and haven't had two weekends that were really even remotely similar. There's a great group of four girls, Kiki, Fums, Oyoyoy and myself, right here in the Pathum Thani (PT). It's not unusual for some, or all of this group, to get together on the weekends, or even one night during the week. One weekend Kiki and I had plans for a low key evening of dinner and a couple drinks at a restaurant just down the road from our apartment... hours later they were kicking us out of our private Karaoke suite because it was closing time. (Had we but known, we could have sung Closing Time before we left).

Kiki belts it out!

On two separate weekends, I ventured into Bangkok for some fun. One night we met up with a rather large group of expats (mostly teachers) at a place that had half priced microbrews!! Score 1 for Thailand! CR... seriously, you've gotta get on this!!



The other weekend Fums and I met Keevs and headed to Bangkok's infamous Koh San Road. In CR we would have called this place Gringolandia and for all the bad reasons! Think dirty, grimy tourist trap with hotels, bars... actually, I'd rather not think about all the things that can be found there! Apart from having a great time with my lovely British mates, I also discovered that I can walk and eat Pad Thai with chopsticks at the same time. Totally worth the trip!

Still, I think the last two weekends have definitely been my favorite. Two weeks ago Fums, Keevs, Oyoyoy and I headed a little north to Ayutthaya to be tourists for the day. At only an hour or so bus ride away, I will definitely be returning here. There are TONS of temples, ruins and perhaps most impressive GIANT... I mean, gargantuanly giant Buddha statues. Check out the pics below. One of the Buddhas actually has men standing on it (they were re-draping him) which give you a little perspective as to just how big he is.



Finally, there's this past weekend. Several of us ventured to Koh Samet for a beach time celebration. Fums had her bday Saturday which seemed like a great excuse to soak up some sun. I may or may not have danced in the rain, boxed a guy in a bar, eaten prawns that still had their heads attached when they came, and splashed in the gorgeous Bay of Thailand. Oh and there might have been tequila shots... it was her birthday!!!



So see?!?! I'm having fun here. Everything is fine! Oh and for the moment, I've decided not to switch apartments (I'm just too bloody cheap!) but I change my mind about that decision almost daily! I've settle into a pretty decent routine with work and the gym. And I've decided that I don't think I can ever join a gym without a steam room again!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Corky said...

Other than being so sick it sounds like you are having a great time. Love reading the blog, wish the font were larger though. These old eyes of mine struggle to read it. Take care of your sweet self. Love you and wish you were here.

8:57 AM, July 11, 2013  

Post a Comment

< < Return to the homepage