Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sometimes life changes...

This is a break from the Epic Adventure. I swear I'll get back to it. I AM still writing, I will finish!! But today, this…

I had a moment today where I realized how drastically my life has changed over the past few years. Today, I went out for a run, as I do 5 days/week. At almost exactly two miles, I got to the largest shopping center in my immediate vicinity and I proceeded to run around the perimeter, passing an Ikea… and I had no desire to go in. As I pondered this, I started to think what I would even buy if I did go in. What could I need from Ikea? You see, I used to drive 3-4 hours one way to go to an Ikea and then spend several hours there shopping, only to turn around with my purchases (often strapped to the roof of my car) and drive the 3-4 hours back.

After college I did what many, but especially American's are taught to do. I got a good job. I bought a car. I bought a house. I was in long term relationship and we had two dogs. I was living the American Dream. I won't go into all the details, but things changed. The relationship ended. The job went away. I sold my car, moved out of the country, and eventually the house sold. Save for a pile of crap some friends have graciously stored for me and a couple meager (by US standards) accounts, I'm pretty much asset free though, with the exception of student loans (meager by US standards) also debt free.

My current salary is under the poverty line in US. While I used to live in an 1800 sq. ft. house - 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage, bonus room - I now live in what I estimate to be a less than 300 sq. ft. studio apartment. Though by US standards I don't think we'd actually call it a studio. Maybe more like a dorm room, since there's no kitchen. The "selling points" for the apartment are air-con, a sink (besides the one in the bathroom), and there is actually a divider between the shower and the rest of the bathroom (no hot water), which is an improvement from my last apartment. (Though shower between your sink and toilet is always a great way to start the day).

I don't have a car. I don't even have a motorbike anymore. I don't have a TV. I mentally debated with myself for days before allowing myself to "splurge" and purchase an electric skillet, because I wasn't sure if it was worth spending the approximately $18. My clothes haven't been dried in a dryer in I don't know how long, because I don't have access to one. With the exception of eggs in my electric skillet, I never cook for myself, because it's cheaper to eat street food.

Back in the States, my then boyfriend and I used to go to "home shows" on the weekends occasionally.  We'd tour multimillion dollar houses and dream of the day we could live in one, or at least one that had some similar features, like a pool table and theater room in the "basement." (Weren't basements made for storage and access to all the under the house stuff?) I now enjoy trolling websites that give designs for "tiny houses" - usually small enough to put on a trailer bed and pull behind a truck or SUV… even better, I dream of living in a tour bus.

If you don't know me, you're probably thinking my life has gone to crap, and I should probably do something to pull myself together. The truth is, I'm really happy. I know that probably doesn't make sense to most people, and I know this life isn't for everyone. This isn't meant to be preachy. I'm not one of those "give all your stuff away" people. Hello!! I'm typing this on my MacBook, and when I finish I'm going to go read on my iPad. But maybe, just be open to the idea of something different. I'm by no means suggesting that you sell your house and car and flee the country… although… I never imagined this being my life, but I'm so glad it is.